Pests damage homes. Most infestations occur without evidence. You do not know they are present. Rats, mice, and other types of pests can become a nuisance quickly.
Once infestations become noticeable, they typically can be hard to get rid of. Will your home insurance help you? This really depends on the situation.
Most Infestations Have No Coverage
Home insurance policies do not usually help with rodent or pest removal. Insurers consider this process a type of maintenance task for your home.
Insurers view this as an avoidable concern. It can also be a type of incident occurring as a result of poor maintenance of your home. In short, pest removal is not a part of most home insurance policies. You should do it on your own.
Coverage for Damages
Some home insurance policies can offer help when you have damage from pests. For example, a rodent chews through an electrical cord. Over time, this causes a fire risk in your attic. You did not know it was there. You could not predict the incident from occurring. The home insurance may cover the damage from the fire.
Not all policies will help these cases, however. If it is a direct link to the infestation or you knew of the infestation, the policy may deny your claim. It's often very hard to prove these claims, so talk to your insurer about your specific case.
What to Do Now
If you are unsure if your home has pests or what to do, here are some guidelines.
- Have a full inspection of your home. Use a trained and licensed exterminator.
- Treat any infestations quickly. Do not allow any type of infestation to go without from treatment.
- Document any type of treatments you do make to the home. This can help show you did your best to minimize risk later on.
- If you have an incident, report it to y our home insurance company. They need to document damage to your home.
- Keep up with treatment. Most homes need at least annual treatment to keep pests at bay.
If you notice droppings or odd noises, do not put off getting help. Gnaw marks on food or boxes are another key sign. You may even locate a nest near the home. Tracks can occur especially in wet weather.
When these instances occur, seek out help from your exterminator right away. This is the best way to protect your home. It helps reduce risks associated with pest infestations. Contact your Stuart FL home insurance agent for a specific answer in your case.